New Blog Site

Please visit our new blogsite: http://blog.marylhurst.edu/university-ministry/

Many thanks!

Carol

Monday, May 9, 2011

Catholic Social Teaching:

Did you know that there are clear ethical teachings on justice? The main teachings concern—

Human Dignity;

Community and the Common Good;

Rights and Responsibilities;

Option for the Poor and Vulnerable;

Participation;

Dignity of Work—Rights of Workers;

Stewardship of Creation;

Solidarity;

Role of Government;

Promotion of Peace.

Human Dignity:

The Catholic Church proclaims that human life is sacred and that the dignity of the person is at the core of a moral vision for society. Our belief in the sanctity of human life and the inherent dignity of the human person is the foundation of all the principles of our social teaching.

(Archdiocese of St. Paul—Minneapolis)

What might this call to honor human dignity mean for us? How can we work for human dignity in our social systems, in our communities, in our families, and with our friends and co-workers. What one action could you take to honor the dignity of others? It doesn’t have to be a huge step, maybe it could be as simple as thanking people who wait on you, or as profound as letting other drivers merge in front of you. Or, maybe you are called to take more systemic action such as contacting your representative, or actively working to educate others about the horrors of human trafficking.

Whatever you feel called to do—blessings!

Carol

6 comments:

  1. Thank you....this a great way to change the world and challenge me to be a better me.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made it a point to make eye contact with all people in sales or services that wait on or assist me. At the end of the transaction I pause and make sure they are looking at me as I thank them. I try to use their names as I thank them. It is a profound moment for many of them because most of their day is filled with repeated and empty words they and others speak as if everyone is unconscious. In fact, I try to speak meaningfully when conversing with strangers instead of making small talk. I intend that it be a blessed moment for both of us. It means slowing down and being conscious of every moment. Human dignity is not just a grand idea, it is being committed to impeccability. Carol, your post resonates with me greatly! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kathryn,
    My sister ~who is now in management, but for years was a checker~ agrees with you wholeheartedly. We can change someone's day by acknowledging their humanity.
    Thank you for this commitment to conscious engagement with the people with whom we share life. And thank you Sr. Carol, for reawakening us all to this significant justice issue.
    Blessings,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. A couple of years ago I was getting coffee in a Starbuck's and the man in front of me was yelling at the staff because when they called his name to give him his drink they didn't pronounce it correctly. He was horrid and told them that he was calling the main office to complain about the rude treatment he had received. After he stormed out, I looked at the staff and said, "Ill be calling the offices as well -- to tell them how professional and calm you were in the face of verbal abuse. And I did. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very often when I take my shipping to the local Post office here in NE Portland, there is an old man in a wheel chair who begs for money. His hand are dry and cracked and he looks like life is a daily challenge. I consider him an Angel in disguise, so whenever I gather my change together I am thinking I am saving it for him. To most he is invisible, but to me, an opportunity to bless and be blessed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this Kathryn is a model of compassion in action. Thank you Kathryn. Like Mother Teresa taught, if we can't feed all those who hunger, maybe we can feed just one.

    ReplyDelete

Times for Prayer and Reflection

We offer a variety of prayer opportunities on our campus --

The Meditation Room, Marian 204, is open for use by faculty, staff, and students. You may find it a great place to go for some quiet time, or you may wish to schedule a prayer group. The space is yours, let me know how I can be of assistance.

If you would like to make a prayer request you may do so through a direct e-mail to me chiggins@marylhurst.edu, by putting a note under my door -- Marian 202, by placing a request in one of the envelops located throughout the campus, or by posting a response to my blog.

Weekly Mass at noon on Mondays is at the heart of all we do at Marylhurst. We invite you to join us if you are able. Mass is also available at 11:00 Tuesday - Friday in the chapel at Mary's Woods. Mary's Woods has Sunday Mass at 11:00 -- for students involved in weekend classes here on campus.

How else can we meet your needs? Let me know and I'll see what I can do to be of service.

Bilblical Exegetical Society Workshop

Dan has graciously offered to take on the leadership for the Biblical Exegetical Society. This year the meetings will take place from 4:30-5:30 on the Fridays of cohort weekends. The first meeting will be on Friday, November 2nd. Hope to see you there!